Student Guide to Distance Education
Is Distance Education Right for You?
How to Register for a Distance Education Class
ACC offers advising and counseling to address the unique needs of online students. The Distance Education Counselor can help you decide on reasonable academic loads, select courses, and answer other Student Services questions about distance education. Contact Carol Townsend by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (512) 223.6081.
How to Begin a Distance Education Class
Students are required to complete an orientation for each Distance Education class. Refer to the course listing in the Schedule for orientation instructions, instructor contact information, the syllabus, and a link to purchase textbooks. If you have trouble connecting with your instructor, contact the Instructional Department.
Succeeding in a Distance Education Class
The following suggestions will help you get the most out of your class:
- If you're a new student, get your Student ID Card. You'll need it for Testing Centers, Libraries, and Computer Labs.
- Order textbooks from the ACC Bookstore for home delivery.
- Read the syllabus for important details about course assignments and testing requirements.
- If you live outside of Austin, review Distance Testing procedures.
- Check your ACCmail regularly for college announcements.
- Complete an instructor evaluation at the end of the semester. Your participation is vital for the improvement of Distance Education courses.
Many library resources and services can be accessed online, as well as on campus.
Most Distance Education courses, including online (ONL) classes, require you to take proctored exams.